Home     Email     Canada     Databases     England     Ethnic/Religious    Ireland/No.Ireland  
L.D.S. Websites     Research Helps     Scotland     United States     Wales     World Databases 

Albert Brandley Family History

by Mona B. Peterson
Stirling - Its Story and People
pages 224 - 226

Albert Brandley was born March 24, 1887, at his home in Richfield, Utah. He was the seventh child and fifth son of John Theodore Brandley and Marie Elizabeth Nageli. His mother died when he was only five years old and he was raised by a stepmother, Eliza Zaugg.

Albert started school in Richfield, and in 1899, when he was 12 years old, his father was called by the Church to come to Canada and help settle the coun- try. Without hesitation they gathered their belong- ings, leaving their furniture store and co-op store, and came to Canada. A company of about 30 people accompanied them. They travelled from Richfield to Nephi by horse and wagon, driving the cattle. At Nephi, they boarded the train and continued on their way. They arrived in Stirling on May 5, 1899. They stayed in the section house that first night and the next day moved their belongings up to the homesite. There they pitched tents. Soon the men went to work and plowed some ground; a garden and a little wheat was planted. They dug a well on the coulee bank for water, and began to work on the canal. Albert's father, John Theodore, his brother, Joseph, and he hauled water for the families while others worked on the canal. Theodore went to Lethbridge for groceries and started a small store in one corner of a large tent, and a post office with living quarters at the other end. The country looked very flat to Utah people, with no fences and grass up to their knees. Six small houses were built and sold to the settlers. Theodore pur- chased and lived in the first house built in Stirling. President Card came quite often from Cardston to see how the people were getting along. Albert's father, Theodore, was made Bishop of Stirling and the first meeting was held between two hay racks with a canvas for a roof. A church was soon built in which school was also held until the school could be built. The people made the brick from clay for the new school which stood for over 50 years. That first fall, the grain was cut, and for the next year or so it was threshed with flails, cleaned by the wind, which was plentiful.

Albert continued his education in Stirling, going as far as he could, and then went to Salt Lake to Henagers Business College.

Albert was the first deacon to be ordained in the Stirling Ward. During his early life in Stirling before his marriage, he was Sunday School Superintendent, Counselor in the M.l.A. and ward teacher.

In the summer of 1914, Luella Wilcox came to Stirling from Farmington, Utah, to visit her sister, Alice Steed. It was while she was here for six weeks that Albert met and courted her. Before she returned to Farmington they became engaged. However, Al- bert was called on a mission to the Eastern States, so the wedding was postponed until his return. They were married January 31, 1917, in the Salt Lake Temple. Then they journeyed by train to Canada to make their home.

Their first home was an apartment in the back of Grandpa (John Theodore) Brandley's store in Stir- ling. Albert worked on the farm with machinery driven by horses. The work was hard and the days were long. At one time Theodore Brandley and his boys owned 350 horses that they had raised.

Albert and Luella became the parents of four children, all raised and educated in Stirling from infancy until college time. When Reinard was two years old they moved from the back of the store into a home built by Albert. This was located one half block north of the church. Luella and Albert remodeled the home several times until they moved to Lethbridge after the children were all raised. Albert thought they were getting too old to keep up all of the yard work and thought an apartment in Lethbridge would be the answer.

Luella and Albert held many positions in the church during their life in Stirling. Albert served on the High Council in the Taylor Stake for 32 years under three Stake Presidents, H. S. Allen, T. George Wood, and James H. Walker. They were both called to be temple workers in the Alberta Temple, a calling they enjoyed doing together.

Albert died in 1969, after a heart illness, at which time he was living in Lethbridge, Alberta. Luella remained in Lethbridge until 1978 wwhen she moved to Salt Lake City to be nearer her children. Albert and Luella were a couple devoted to their family, to their Church, and to the town of Stirling. The family has many great memories of their child- hood in Stirling.

Return Individual Histories

Home     Email     Canada     Databases     England     Ethnic/Religious    Ireland/No.Ireland  
L.D.S. Websites     Research Helps     Scotland     United States     Wales     World Databases 

Copyright © 2000
Mary Tollestrup