A fitting tribute for a pioneer well driller. In 1943 Charles Edward Anderson drilled the first artesian well in the Lost River area for the Gilchrist brothers.
Today a lonely cairn stands near this well in'Lost River in honor of Mr. Anderson, commonly known as Charlie. It was erected by the Gilchrist brothers. Today it is included in Lost,River Ranch, owned and operated by Mary Jane (daughter of the late George and Eileen Ross) and Leonard Patrowski, who keep an eye to its care.
Those were the days before the rotary bit. It took patience strength and endurance to watch the rods lift and fall with seemingly no end. When it hit a rock sometimes it would be days or weeks before any progress was made.
On Sunday, July 6th, 1980, Charlie's family made a lonely pilgrimage to the cairn to honor their parents. Mrs.Anderson passed away more recently in Medicine Hat.In the cavalcade were Bob Anderson and family from Thunder Bay Edward from Calgary, Don, Eric & Alder-man Lee Anderson and family,from Medicine Hat and Leona and Roy Chesney from Etzikom.
Return Pioneer Histories