In May 1898 David Henry Caldwell Senior, with his wife Fanny left St. John, Utah for Canada. The travelled in covered wagons with 4 married sons; David Henry, Jr., James Albert, Abraham Alvin, and John Edgar with their families and unmarried son named Walter. Three married daughters; Caroline Gillman, Fanny Garner, Alice Morgan and their families and three younger daughters also accompanied their parents.
They arrived in Canada in July 1898 and settled on a flat between the Belly River and Fish Creek, laid out a town site and called it Caldwell, North West Territories.
In December 1898 a branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized with D. H. Caldwell, Sr. as presiding elder. He was sustained as bishop when the branch became a ward in 1899. In 1900 a church was dedicated and a post office was opened with D. H. Caldwell as post master.
In 1906 the Mormon Church bought a 65,000 acre Cochrane Ranch across the Belly River from Caldwell townsite, opening it for settlement. Many bought land there. Others moved to nearby towns and a few went back to the United States. By 1911, all who had lived in Caldwell had moved away leaving two dwelling houses, the church and school house on the townsite. The church and dwelling house are in use in 1996.
We honor these pioneers for making it possible for us to live in this land of peace and plenty.
The Alberta Company of Daughters of the Utah Pioneers dedicate this marker in honor of the early pioneers of Caldwell, Alberta.
Return to Caldwell, Alberta
Return to Cities, Towns, Villages, Hamlets
Ghost Towns of Southern Alberta
Copyright © 2000