Home     Email     Canada     Databases     England     Ethnic/Religious    Ireland/No.Ireland  
L.D.S. Websites     Research Helps     Scotland     United States     Wales     World Databases 

Alma Miner Carter
and Eunice Pulsipher

Heritage of the High Country
A History of Del Bonita and
Surrounding Districts, Pages 291 - 292

Alma Carter and Eunice Pulsipher were married in Logan, Utah, September 16, 1887. This remained their home for a while but in 1902 the decision was made to come to Canada.

Alma came to Raymond, Alberta, with the Willie Bullock immigrant train and had a house partially completed when his wife and five children arrived March 3, 1903. The children were Ervin, Ferl, Lamonde, Esther, and Elmer.

In 1914 Lamonde filed on a homestead and preemption E1/2-27-1-20-W4th. He worked there in the spring and summer but would return to Raymond for the winter. In 1915 Lamonde brought Elmer with him to make the necessary improvements. A home had been hauled from Raymond by team to reside in.

In 1916 the rest of the Carter family moved from Raymond to Twin River. Ervin, Esther, and Ferl had married by this time so they didn't come with them. Melvin had been added to the family in Raymond in 1907. With them the family brought thirty-four head of cattle that Alma had purchased at a Calgary auction, lumber for a home, and all their possessions. They settled on a site about one half mile west of Robinson's.

Approximately one hundred acres of homestead land was farmed. The cows were milked and the milk used for cheese which was sold at twenty-five cents a pound.

Wheat was bootlegged to Cut Bank, Montana, and hauled by a four horse team. Everyone was bootlegging. Wheat could be bought for fifty cents per bushel and sold in Cut Bank for as much as one dollar and twenty-five cents per bushel.

Eventually someone didn't pay his livery stable fee. There was trouble and this person had his wagon confiscated. This brought an end to the bootlegging. Introduction of the Border Patrol and customs offices to enforce laws between countries began.

A saddle horse was traded for five wolf hound pups to be trained for coyote hunting. This pack was trained to work as a team. The trick was to make the hounds remain behind the horse until a coyote was spotted and the rider could get as close as possible. The lead dog was to catch the coyote by the hind shank and flip him, letting go, and continue running. The coyote would roll over giving the pack time to close in for the kill. Now the hunter had to rescue the coyote for the pelt, peel the skin off his hind feet, tied the feet together and loop them over the saddle horn, pull the hide down over the coyote's head leaving ears, snout, and toenails intact. The horse had to be trained to put up with all this. Pelts were worth five or six dollars then.

There was always a trapline to check out for pelts of smaller animals. Badgers were drowned out of their holes with barrels of water and shot when they surfaced. Cowhides were tanned and made into leather. Twine was twisted into strong rope for lariats.

Sundays were spent rounding up wild horses and running them into a corral. Working them into a comer, the men would jump off their saddle horses onto one of the mustangs, just holding onto the mane. Needless to say they learned how to ride well. This was probably the beginning of rodeo.

Esther and her husband, Forest L. Packard, helped to build the road to Milk River. Esther cooked for the road crew. Her first baby was born at the home of her parents with her mother and Mrs. Joe Foggin assisting.

Lamonde had ridden for the doctor but his horse upset crossing the swift current of the river. The sodden, furry chaps he was wearing almost sucked him under. The current swept him toward a jutting rock which he managed to thrust his feet against with such force it threw him out onto the bank. Mr. Gagan who lived on this side of the river from the Herman Hillmer residence witnessed the whole scene. He gave Lamonde a fresh horse and he continued on to Magrath. Jack Martin was sent to Magrath to tell Lamonde and the doctor that the birth had occurred and all was well. No need for the doctor to come.

Water had to be hauled on a stoneboat from a mile west of the Carter home. Lots of wells had been dug as deep as thirty feet by windlass but all were dry. The family moved to the present location.

Esther and Forest Packard moved to Nampa, Idaho and raised a large family there.

Melvin rode a year for the Pool Company Ranch. This was a cooperative group of ranchers who put their cattle together and leased a township of land and fenced it. This was the beginning of the Twin River Grazing Reserve.

At the age of sixteen Melvin signed on with the Baker Cattle Company to trail cattle to Sweet Grass and load them on the railroad for Chicago. It took five days to get them to Sweet Grass. The third night out the cattle stampeded and only hard riding could head them in the right direction without getting run down. There were twenty-eight carloads of cattle. Melvin accompanied them right to Chicago. In 1924 he moved to Idaho.

Lamonde married Viva Jones in 1920 and they continued farming and ranching here for a while and sold out and moved on.

Alma became ill and Elmer had to phone from the T.R. McKenzie residence to Lethbridge for a plane to come take him to a hospital. The plane landed behind the tree belt but cracked a ski in the process. Alma and Eunice flew to Lethbridge and she obtained an apartment near the hospital. They both remained there after his release. They came back to the farm for the spring and summer. The altitude wouldn't allow Alma to remain and they moved to Raymond again for the rest of their lives. Alma died October 17, 1939 and Eunice on November 20, 1945.

Return to Individual Histories

Home     Email     Canada     Databases     England     Ethnic/Religious    Ireland/No.Ireland  
L.D.S. Websites     Research Helps     Scotland     United States     Wales     World Databases 

Copyright 2000
Mary Tollestrup