Village of Coalhurst, May 22nd, 1984 1913 - Not organized but request made and approved.
Jan. 4/1913 - Coalhurst Board of Trade sent a petition for the establishment of Village to the Minister of Public Works, informing the Minister that a Post Office had been established and named and that the Collieries had built thirty cottages, and the population was between 700 and 900. Sec. Tres. of the Board of Trade J. I. McDermott.
Feb. 25/1913 - Request from Coalhurst Board of Trade to the Minister of Public Works for information on incorporation of Coalhurst as a Town, with sworn affidavit that the population was over 700 people and approximately 150 houses in the proposed Town limits.
Mar. 3 /1913 - From the Minister to letter of Feb. 25th, 1913. That the Village has never been established as a Village under the Village Act, there is no provision where-by it can be made a town except by special legislation.
Apr. 4/1913 - Letter from Coalhurst Board of Trade to Department of Municipal Affairs correcting description of the proposed Village and declaration signed by A. E Cunning, that there are at least seventy-five occupied dwelling houses, also a petition signed by sixty-five resident ratepayers.
Apr. 11/1913 - Letter from Deputy Minister, informing Board of Trade that the description is not sufficiently clear as area must be surveyed and plan registered.
May 24/1913 - Letter from J. H. Watson, chairman, Incorporation Committee Board of Trade to Deputy Minister of Public Works. Ask for speedy incorporation because at present no sanitary control and disease could cause deplorable conditions.
June 10/ 1913 - Further letter requesting reply to letter of May 14th, 1913, and informing the Deputy Minister that the camp was unsanitary.
June 14/1913 - Reply from Deputy Minister stating he had not received letter of May 24th, 1913.
July 16/1913 - Letter from Dr. J. S. Stewart M.P.P. to the Minister of Municipalities, requested by Coalhurst Board of Trade asking reason for delay in the incorporation as the citizens are anxious for incorporation for sanitary, fire protection and other reasons.
July 18/1913 - Reply on behalf of Minister by Deputy Minister to Dr. Stewart, that the Minister has not received the petition.
Aug. 9/1913 - Letter from Dr. Stewart to J. Pierrie, Deputy Minister of Municipalities, forwarding a plan of the proposed extension of the Village boundaries on behalf of the Coalhurst Board of Trade.
Aug. 13/1913 - Reply from Deputy Minister to Dr. Stewart, informing him that Coalhurst had not been organized therefore it could not be extended and that the plan was very irregular and disconnected and it would hardly appear advisable that such an area should be established a Village.
Aug. 22/1913 - Dr. Stewart to Deputy Minister, informing the Deputy Minister that the Coal Co. on starting operations had erected a few houses for pit bosses and two bunk houses for the men and refused to sell lots to private parties. A homesteader subdivided Sec. 22 and some miners built a Miners Hall and a store. At that time eighty-two houses inhabited on Sec. 22. The owners of Sec. 20 surveyed part of that land and built a Hotel, blacksmith shop and three homes. The people are not anxious to have Sec. 20 in boundaries but only Sec. 22, where the mine officials have no authority. The sanitary conditions are a disgrace. (A. J. McLean supplied the information).
Sept. 4/1913 - Deputy Minister to Dr. Stewart. Asking why no reference is made to the number of occupied houses in Sec. 21, which is proposed to be included in the Village.
Sept. II/ 1913 -Dr. Stewart to Deputy Minister that a population of about 400 with about 100 houses and a four-room school are in Sec. 21 and part of Sec. 20 is not necessary to be included in the boundaries of Village as the Hotel has been moved from Sec. 20 and is now in Sec. 21.
Sept. 19/1913 - Deputy Minister to Dr. Stewart, that it would be in order the legal subdivisions 5, 6, 7, and 8 of Sec. 21, SWI/4 of Sec. 22 and West half of legal subdivision 12 in Sec. 22, all in Township 9, ange 22, West of the 4th Meridian be established as Village, if the residents forwarded a petition.
Oct. 9.1913 - Deputy Minister to J. H. Watson returning the petition for correction.
Oct. 24/1913 - Deputy Minister to J. H. Watson inclosing five copies of the notice to organize the village, to be posted at the Post Office and two other conspicuous places in the proposed area of the Village, and a copy published in two issues of the nearest local paper.
Oct. 31/1913 - J. H. Watson to Deputy Minister, acknowledging receipt of notices, and informing the Deputy Minister that three had been posted as instructed and also published in the Lethbridge Herald. All objections to organization of such territory into a Village must be filed with Charles Stewart, Minister of Municipal Affairs on or before the 27th of November, 1913.
Dec. 1/ 1913 -Deputy Minister to J. H. Watson informing Mr. Watson that sufficient time had elapsed for the Hamlet to be established a Village without objection, and asked for the full name, address of some competent to act as Returning Officer, the name of some hall or building that can be mentioned in the Order as the place for the nomination of candidates for Councilors to be held and also some place for the holding of the first meeting of the Council.
Dec. IO/ 1913 - J. H. Watson to Deputy Minister, reply that a meeting of residents was held on Monday in the school when Mr. Finlay M. Donald J. P. was elected enumerator and the schoolhouse was to be used for election and first Council meeting.
Dec. 11/1913 - J. I. McDermott, Secretary Board of Trade to Deputy Minister giving same information as letter of Dec. 10th, 1913 from Mr. J. H. Watson, chairman.
Dec. 17/1913 - Deputy Minister to Finlay McDonald enclosing order to established Village and appointment as Returning Officer and Village Act.
Return Coalhurst, Alberta