Creation of the HamletBy 1902 there were signs an embryo hamlet was being formed. Section men, who maintained the railway tracks, lived at this site. Mr. John Meyers, Senior, was section foreman for many years,, and lived with his wife and family in a house nearby. Mr. Tom Nesting was pumpman and supplied water to a water tower from the creek for the steam-driven locomotives. A box car, set off the tracks, served as a depot and a wayfarer's inn. There were several cattle and horse ranchers on the surrounding, untouched pastureland. Recalled names of these are: Harry Foster, Christ Kraft, J. Brandt, Claud Edwards, S. Davies, W. Reid, Chris Zimmerman, James Mitchell, C. Huntley, O. Peterson and J. P. Jenkins.
By 1908 there were marked advances in the hamlet's and the community's development. The land had been surveyed and homesteads were being made available. Squatters rights vanished. Illustrious posters promised "Free Land". The railway offered transportation at a cent a mile, and free freight for homesteaders. The fantasy that Alberta was part of the Arctic was denied, and rosy stories about warm winter chinooks gave homesteading an optimistic appeal.
Return Seven Persons