Home     Email     Canada     Databases     England     Ethnic/Religious    Ireland/No.Ireland  
L.D.S. Websites     Research Helps     Scotland     United States     Wales     World Databases 
Lowell Budd Duncombe and
Nellie Rosa Rumble

In 1848 Lowell's great grandfather Joseph Duncombe joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in England. He, and his wife Elizabeth Glover, came to America in 1865. They were parents of 14 children. One son named Nehemia David Duncombe, married Mary Francis Haynes. They had 11 children, the third child, Walter married Sarah Louise Budd, daughter of George Budd and Sarah Jane Smith Turpin. This couple had 6 boys and 5 girls . Lowell was the oldest of the 11 children.

Lowell was born in Salt Lake City, May 20, 1895, and was able to visit both sets of grandparents while living there. When he was 7 years old his father decided to move to Alberta, Canada. They packed household goods and a cow into a rail car and made the journey to Canada, arriving in Stirling in June 1903. They loaded part of there belongings in wagons to continue there journey. Mud and millions of hungry mosquitoes greeted them as they traveled the last few miles to Raymond, Alberta where a log house built by uncle George Budd awaited them.

Lowell's Father worked with his wife's brothers contracting haying and harvesting crops. He also worked for Knight Sugar Co. building the factory in Raymond. He hauled coal from the Belly River to keep them warm in the bitter winter. The family slept on straw for beds and they glued paper over the cracks in the walls to keep out the cold winds.

Lowell first attended school in the old LDS building that was later sold to the Japanese in the community. Later he attended school in a small building behind the first stake house in Raymond. He remembered two teachers Mrs. Sarah Holt and Miss Taylor.

Lowell remembered being impressed by a sermon given by Brother William Moroni Palmer a noted public speaker who was said to be a " walking bible." Lowell had long red hair which his mother kept in ringlets and could be seen racing on a horse with his long hair flying in the wind. One day his father cut them off with horse sheers, much to his mothers dismay.

In the fall of 1903 his father filed for homestead near the town of Taber. When spring came he dug a well and built a one roomed shack and moved his family. They had a cow and some chickens which had to be kept in crates to protect them from wild animals. Lowell helped his father plant a garden and cut and stack prairie hay. One day while his father was away, his mother faced a herd of stampeding cattle and chased them away from their crops.

Lowell was baptized in the river when he was 9 years old and confirmed by Prince Henry Smith. As a deacon he was assigned to arrive early to light heaters and sweep the church out, When socials were held, the boys would have to carry buckets of water for the dishes. At one social he snuck a pie in his bucket but to the boys surprize it was rhubarb not apple.

When winter came they moved to town and his father traveled to the farm to work, from early dawn till dark. Lowell had a horse and took food to the farm for his father. When he was 13 he would herd cattle for other people driving them to feed along the river then bring them home each night. He received $ 1 per month for his service, and his mother sold butter.

They built a a large two story house, in Taber. Lowell planted a cottonwood tree and carried water faithfully until the roots reached water. The tree provided shade for the family for many years.

Lowell worked for different farmers and when he was 17yrs old worked in the mines driving horses that pulled cars of coal to the surface. This paid $6 dollars per day which was good wages. His mother depended on him to help with the younger children. He was very responsible at taking care of household tasks.

He loved to dance and would ride for many miles just to attend dances, he won many prizes in dancing. When Lowell was 16 he went to Vauxhall to a rodeo and there was rank horse and they offered $25 to anyone who could ride it, he volunteered and when he got on the horse gave one mighty leap and that was all then it just ran in circles so he proudly took his money home.

When world war 1 broke out Lowell and eight of his friends in Taber volunteered to serve. Hugh B. Brown encouraged these young men of American birth assist this country of there adoption in its need. Before they left they were given a priesthood blessing and promise that they, like the sons of Helamon would return safely if they would obey the commandments and live worthily. They joined the"Fort Gary Horse Regiment"and trained in Medicine Hat.

Lowell got a 24 hr leave to visit his mother and little sister Ablie who was ill, she later died while he was on his way to Europe. They reached England and were stationed at Folkstone on the east coast. The nine young men met often in there tents to speak of home and the gospel. Lowell loved to shoe horses and so pleased general Steele that he sent another horse to be shoed with some money because of the excellence of work. On leave in London they found the LDS meeting hall and Lowell met his future bride, Nellie Rosa Rumble. They courted and where engaged in August 1917 and married in March 1918.

Three weeks later they were in trenches with all the horrors of the front lines. Lowell spoke of hunger, mud and lice me dying all around, Survival was a miracle. He had a favorite horse shot out from under him in one charge against a wood barricade with German machine guns. He lost another and lay behind the dead horse for hours, finally after dark he was able to crawl to safety. The promise was fulfilled, one man was a prisoner of war and two others were wounded but all there lives were spared all were able to return home.

For a few years Lowell tried his hand at farming then in 1924 moved to Raymond where he worked on the construction of the sugar factory at the same time studying at night taking engineering. After much study hours of hard work and persistence he passed exams to become a master mechanic and became chief engineer at the sugar factory.

Lowell and Nellie had 3 sons and 1 daughter, ( Lawrence, Joyce, Walter, Douglas ). An important event was a trip to the Alberta temple to have the family sealed. In 1932 twin girls were born Eileen and Jean. Later Nellie was crippled with rheumatism and Lowell took her to the temple for a blessing this was in the winter and very cold. In the temple she was healed and able to walk again and enjoy good health. They were touched by this miracle and knew that through faith prayers were answered.

Lowell was highly respected by the men he worked with and by the community his practical knowledge and ability was helpful on many occasions. When the town decided to build an out door swimming pool they asked Lowell to engineer the construction.

A new hospital was built in 1945 Lowell was on the hospital board for many years he was elected year after year but never campaigned. when ever there was a problem with heating etc. he would be there to take care of it. During this time 13 of his grandchildren were born there, mothers and babies received special attention from the staff who had the highest respect for" Grampa".

In 1960 Lowell retired and he and Nellie moved to Lethbridge. Now he had time for his hobbies, he raised canaries, breeding and teaching them to sing properly. He won many awards and trophies all across Canada. He loved gardening and raising tropical fish. His buggies were family pets. He also began to paint and make leather wallets.

Lowell also worked part time at Lethbridge laundry controlling the pressure valves in the machinery. Lowell was greatly concerned for the women who worked in the heat and the steam and would have liked to improve there working conditions. He became ill and was forced to give up most of his hobbies and later died in 1975 just short of his 80th birthday. He was buried in Mountain View Cemetery.

Lowell lived his life to the fullest and loved nature and all gods creatures. He left his children a wonderful legacy he was an honest man always paid an honest tithing, he was prayerful and a great example to all that knew him.

Return Individual Histories

Home     Email     Canada     Databases     England     Ethnic/Religious    Ireland/No.Ireland  
L.D.S. Websites     Research Helps     Scotland     United States     Wales     World Databases 

Copyright 2000
Mary Tollestrup