MARY'S GENEALOGY TREASURES
Home     Email     Canada     Databases     England     Ethnic/Religious    FamilySearch.org    Ireland/No.Ireland  
L.D.S. Websites     Research Helps     Scotland     United States     Wales     World Databases 

Albert and Reatha Fisher

Heritage of the High Country-
A History of Del Bonita and surrounding Districts
Pages 330-331
written by Gladys Farrries

Albert Fisher was born in Wisconsin. He came to Canada and farmed at Enchant, Alberta.

Reatha Fisher, born in P.E.I., married and lived in Lowell, Mass. After her husband's death, she and her daughter Gladys came to Calgary. She married Mr. Fisher at Enchant in 1912. They homesteaded a couple of miles east of Shanks Lake. Their nearest neighbors were Riley Larson, the Winters, Baxters and Rasmussens. At that time the cattle of the McIntyre Ranch were a lot of trouble.

Mr. Fisher, along with Stanley Greep and George Spence, played the violin for dances at the schools.

Mrs. Fisher's daughter, rode horseback to school, first to Hacke School and later to the Shanks Lake School.

They moved to New Hampshire, U.S.A. for a couple of years. They spent one winter in Wisconsin, then came back to Alberta for a winter in Magrath, where Mr. Fisher worked in a coal mine at the Pot Hole Coulee. Then they came back to the old homestead for a season. A winter was spent in Calgary.

In 1924 they came back to Del Bonita and opened a general store on Weatherley's farm. His store was moved by horses to the present site of Del Bonita, where they had bought five acres of land. They built a house and later built the present store.

Around 1925 to 1929 there was prohibition in the U.S.A. and there was a lot of bootlegging. The bootleggers used to stop at the store for gas and food. The folks from Montana came mostly on horseback to our dances. There was no customs office at the border at that time.

When the elevators were built and the railroad to Whiskey Gap, the farmers from across the border hauled their wheat there, where it was shipped in bond to St. Paul and Minneapolis, U.S.A.

In 1943 the store was sold to Charles Secretan and the Fishers moved to Lethbridge, to an acreage on the south side. In 1945 they bought a farm at High River where they lived until 1956, when they moved into High River. Mr. Fisher passed away in 1958 and Mrs. Fisher moved to her daughter's in Lethbridge in 1961 where she lived until her passing in 1972.

Return Pioneer Histories

Home     Email     Canada     Databases     England     Ethnic/Religious    FamilySearch.org    Ireland/No.Ireland  
L.D.S. Websites     Research Helps     Scotland     United States     Wales     World Databases 
Copyright 2000
Mary Tollestrup