Paddy Hasson was a contemporary and friend of George Houk. Both were old frontiersmen, both married Blood Indian women, both spoke Blackfoot, and both settled in the Pot Hole district - Hasson at the mouth of Pot Hole Creek, Houk a mile or two north. Both registered brands at an early date Hasson an EH and Houk a half H. Hasson was American-Irish, Houk was Pennsylvania Dutch.
About 1880, Hasson constructed the first concrete buildings in the region. He did this by gathering limestone rocks from the surrounding glaciate prairie. Then he dug six foot pits near a cutbank above Pot Hole Creek and filled the bottom with coal, the top of the pit with limestone rocks. The coal was ignited with air provided by a flue connecting the bottom of the pit and the nearby cliff face. The heat drove water from the limestone, resulting in cement. The procedure was well- known at the time as "burning limestone". The cement was then used with sand, gravel, and rocks to build a concrete barn and a couple of houses, all of which are still standing (in 1987). The Hasson place was acquired by George F. Russell and is now in the hands of Frank A Russell.
Return to Individual Histories