Home     Email     Canada     Databases     England     Ethnic/Religious    Ireland/No.Ireland  
L.D.S. Websites     Research Helps     Scotland     United States     Wales     World Databases 

Callie Haycock Henderson

compiled by Della Henderson Holladay
18 May 1983

Callie Haycock was born 15 September 1898 at Kanab, Kane County, Utah. She was the 2nd child of 8 children born to William Joseph Haycock and Orpha Elzetta Adams. She had blue eyes and dark brown hair.

Callie was blessed by her Grandfather Nathan Adams and although her name was "Callie" she was called "Kathie" most of the time throughout her life.

Callie came to Canada with her parents by team and wagon. They arrived in Magrath, Alberta, Canada in May 1904. There were 4 children in the family when they arrived in Magrath. Callie's uncle John Fredrick Haycock and his wife Ida Rachael Weaver were among the first settlers in Magrath arriving in August 1899. When Callie's Father and his family arrived at her uncle Fred's home in Magrath, three of their children had scarlet fever. They were very sick. There was no doctor or telephone in Magrath at that time and the closest doctor was in Lethbridge about 22 miles north, a long way by team and wagon. But the Lord heard and answered their prayers and they all recovered from this terrible disease.

Soon after arriving in Magrath Callie's father took up a homestead east of Taber, Alberta. Hard times followed the Haycock family. Getting settled in a new home with the bare necessities of life, in a new country, and dry windy years that followed, made life difficult for everyone. But they stayed close to the Church and were blessed.

Four more children were born in Taber. This increased their family to 8 children.

Callie was baptized the 1 September 1907 by Bishop Ranson A. Van Orman at Taber, Alberta, and was confirmed a member of the Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints 1 September 1907 by Chester Southworth.

Callie commenced her schooling at Taber in the fall of 1904. In the summer months when they worked on the homestead they all attended a little one roomed school in the Purple Springs area. There were many little one roomed schools in those days. In the winter months most families moved into Taber and attended school there until time for spring work on the farm to start again. Then they would move back out on the farm and attend the one roomed school until fall again. The school she attended in Taber was in the northeast corner of Taber and their home was close by.

On the farm the Haycock family lived neighbors to the Godfrey's, and to John and Bertha Ann Elder and family. Other neighbors and friends were the Frazers; the Scovills; the Paxmans and Hardings. They shared many good times taking part in home dramatics, picnics and dances. That was the only thing they had then. They made their own entertainment and it was real good wholesome fun.

At school they played Marbles; Jacks ; Anti-I-Over; Steal Sticks; Run Sheep Run; Hop Scotch; and Hide and Go Seek. They had Spelling Bees and Geography Matches . At Christmas time the teacher would present a Concert and all the children took part. It was enjoyed by the parents and all in the school.

The Haycock family lived at Taber for ten years. In September 1914 " Kathie" moved with her parents back to Iona, Idaho. But she had become closely associated with, and fell in love with, a young man who lived at Purple Springs, Alberta, ten miles east of Taber, and not too far from the Haycock farm. This young man was Oswald Clayton Henderson second child of Robert James Henderson and Annie Helena Cox. The Hendersons had also taken up a homestead in the Purple Springs area. Oswald and " Kathie" attended the same Church and entertainments of that community.

In December of 1914 Oswald went to Iona, Idaho, to see "Kathie", and on the 23 December 1914 they were married In Iona by Bishop T. C. Barlow. On the 1 January 1915 they came back to Purple Springs where Oswald worked on the farm until October of that year. They then went back to Idaho and lived at Sterling, Idaho. Soon after arriving at Sterling Callie underwent an operation for appendicitis. And in November of the same year 1915 she had surgery for the removal of one kidney, a very delicate operation in those days.

When Callie recovered they made a trip to the Salt Lake Temple, where they were sealed for time and all eternity on the 5 April 1916. They returned to Sterling where their first child was born. In February of 1917 they went back to Purple Springs to live.

Oswald and "Kathie" were both active in the Church and the community. A short article is written in the book "A History Of The Mormon Church In Canada" page 220 and I quote the article called "The Torrie Sunday School": " A dependent branch Sunday School of the Taber Ward was held from the 19 April 1914 to the 31 of December 1916. Albert Torrie was Superintendent with W. J. Haycock and A.M. Hall as Counselors and Kathie Haycock and Bertha Godfrey as secretaries. There was thirteen officers and teachers and Sunday School members enrolled. Many of the members moved from the area and the Branch was closed." W. J. was her father William Joseph Haycock and Bertha Godfrey was a neighbor and very dear friend.

While living in Purple Springs three more children were born to Kathie and Oswald.

"Kathie" took pride in her personal appearance and her children were always neat and clean. Kathie and her closest neighbor on the north, a very dear friend, helped each other wash clothes, do different kinds of baking, and sewing for their families. They helped each other in many other ways as well and they shared many good times together.

While living on the homestead they travelled in a "Democrate" as they called it. It was a light four wheeled vehicle drawn by two horses. In the winter they travelled in a sleigh. I remember trips to Sunday School, to the store and neighbors in our "Democrate." Later we had a "Buggy ". It had two wheels and was drawn by one horse. Father raised and broke a beautiful black trotter that he bought from the Forsyth boys in Magrath. Her name was Doll and she could almost fly when she broke into a trot. We felt we were travelling in style.

Our Mother taught her children to sing at a very early age. And we sang a lot in our home. Two songs I remember were: "Lullaby Land" and "I'll Be Glad When Daddy Comes Home."

Callie was a good Mother, loyal to her home and family. She was also loyal to her Church and had a testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel. She died at the early age of twenty three years of influenza and maternity complications at the Taber Hospital 22 April 1922. She and her stillborn baby are buried together in the Taber cemetery. I admire her for her integrity and for her ability to make our house a haven, and a home where love was always present. I admire her for the courage and determination she had to face the trials and hardships all pioneers endured in that part of the country. All her children love her most of all because she was our "Mother."

Return to Individual Histories

Home     Email     Canada     Databases     England     Ethnic/Religious    Ireland/No.Ireland  
L.D.S. Websites     Research Helps     Scotland     United States     Wales     World Databases 

Copyright 2000
Mary Tollestrup