Hank Hillmer, son of George Christoff Hillmer, was born in North Dakota in 1880. He farmed in North and South Dakota before coming to Magrath in 1908 with his wife, Ella, and brother Herman. They farmed west of Magrath, raising grain and hogs.
In 1916 Hillmer Brothers filed on a homestead on the south side of the Milk River, and in 1918 sold their farm at Magrath and bought a five thousand acre ranch on the north banks of the Milk River, formerly the Page Ranch. They brought cattle, horses, and sheep to the ranch. This was known as Hillmer Brothers' Ranch.
About 1924 Hank and Ella moved back to Magrath and built and operated the pool hall until 1949, when they retired to Creston, B.C.
Hank died in 1955 and Ella died in 1970 They had no children.
Return Individual Histories