MARY'S GENEALOGY TREASURES
Home     Email     Canada     Databases     England     Ethnic/Religious    FamilySearch.org    Ireland/No.Ireland  
L.D.S. Websites     Research Helps     Scotland     United States     Wales     World Databases 

The Hillmer School District No. 4659

Heritage of the High Country
A History of Del Bonita and Surrounding Districts,
Page 148

There was no school to accommodate children who lived north of the Milk River. These children had to ford the river to attend Shanks Lake School. This meant that a parent had to go with the children to the river in the mornings and meet them there in the evenings to be sure they crossed in safety. In 1934 the residents of the area petitioned the government for a school.

On December 8, 1934 the Hillmer School District No. 4659 was established comprising of the following lands: Section 15-17, 20-23, 26-29 and 32-35, that portion of Section 14 lying north of the Milk River, in Township 2, Range 21, west of the Fourth Meridian.

December 8, 1934 A. R. Gibson was appointed Official Trustee of the Hillmer School District No. 4659.

December 9, 1935 the following lands were added: Section 8, 9, 18, 19, 30 and 31, those portions of Section 3, 4 and 10 lying north and west of the Milk River, in Township 2, Range 21, West of the Fourth Meridian.

October 3, 1936 the Hillmer School District No. 4659 was included in Subdivision No. 3 of the St. Mary's River School Division No. 2.

August 9, 1938 the following lands were withdrawn: Sections 19-21 and 28-33, in Township 2, Range 21, West of the Fourth Meridian. Also the following lands were added: section 24, 25, and 36, that portion of Section 13 lying north of the Milk River, in Township 2, Range 21; Sections 6 and 7, in Township 3, Range 20; Section 1, 2, 11, and 12 in Township 3, Range 21; all West of the Fourth Meridian.

July 26, 1945 the following lands were added: Section 19-36; in Township 2, Range 20, West of the Fourth Meridian.

January 22, 1946 the following lands were added: Township 2, Range 19; West of the Fourth Meridian.

December 16, 1953 the following lands were transferred from the Hillmer School District to the Bonnie View School District; Sections 6 and 7, in Township 3, Range 20; West of the Fourth Meridian.

Although Hillmer School district was established in 1934 no building was constructed. Therefore, children from the district still forded the north fork of Milk River to attend Shanks Lake School. When the river was high or ice was going out this meant that a parent had to see them safely across in the morning and meet them in the evening.

During the 1937-38 year the divisional board allowed Andrew Kolasko and later Herman Hillmer to van the children around by the bridge at Swallow's to Shanks Lake School. In 1939 the district was included in the centralized school at Del Bonita and the children were vanned there.

Return To Old Rural County Schools
Return To History of Southern Alberta

Home     Email     Canada     Databases     England     Ethnic/Religious    FamilySearch.org    Ireland/No.Ireland  
L.D.S. Websites     Research Helps     Scotland     United States     Wales     World Databases 

Copyright 2000
Mary Tollestrup