Otis and Mary Hitt came originally from Little Rock, Arkansas. They came to the Del Bonita district in 1913 and filed on the S. E. 19-1-21-4 as a homestead and S.W. 19-1-21-4 as a pre-emption.
They purchased some milk cows and hens and always raised enough chickens to have all the fryers they needed for their own use. They sold cream, and raised their own vegetables. Mrs. Hitt was gifted with a green thumb. It didn't make any difference how many people came to visit, there was always a warm welcome and a good meal well served at the Hitts.
Hitts built two extra rooms onto their house. These were used by the Mounted Police when they stayed in the area. Later Mrs. Hitt boarded several of the Lens school teachers.
During the 1920's Hitts bought the Marion Rasmussen place, N. V2-13-1-21-4. They built a new house, barn, chicken house and garage there.
Mary Hitt became very ill with a kidney ailment. Dr. J. K. Mulloy looked after her, and entrusted Anna Farries to administer morphine injections to relieve her pain. Several other neighbors helped to look after her through this trying time. She passed away in the early thirties.
The National Petroleum oil camp was established at Otis Hitt's place and Otis was employed by the oil company for several years.
In 1936 he rented his land to Arvel Dustin, and in 1939 he sold the south half of 19-1-21-4 to Ed and Ken Newton. Alex Koliaska now owns the south half of 13-1-21-4 with the exception of the oil camp.
In the early 50's Otis Hitt passed away in his sleep.
Return Individual Histories