This was a pioneer of Alberta schools, for it was begun in 1905, before our province was formed out of the Northwest Territories. Its number was 1440.
Some of the families, whose children attended were as follows: Nestings, Tonbergs, Goods, Rices, Brands, Leonards, Barnetts, Alcorns, Huntleys, Meyers, Moens and Strands.
The names of teachers, who taught here, were:
Miss Jennie Mitchell 1906 $50 a month
later Mrs. Dowson
Miss M. E. Taylor 1907
Mr. W. Brown 1908 who later became a school inspector and who owned a farm which is now part of the Medicine Hat Ranching company's holding.
Miss P. E. Good 1908
Miss Maud Armstrong 1909
Mr. Wilfred Rideout 1910
Miss Nellie Alakavish 1911
Mr. Bert Bolton 1912
Mr. Grant McLean 1912 $780 per year
Mr. F. K. Collins 1913
Miss McIntyre 1914
Mr. David Lush 1914
Mr. H. C. Sweet 1915 $60 a month - a school inspector and later Chief Superintendent of Schools.
Mr. V. P. Mock from Wisconsin 1916
The school was moved to the south-east quarter of section 16 -IO -7 - 4. Its name was changed from Seven Persons to Joffre.
Mr. Victor Mack 1917
Mrs. Frances Berry 1918
Miss Rose Herric 1918 $90 a month
Miss Margaret Haire 1919
School was closed in 1920 and the pupils were taken to Seven Persons. Again the school was moved, to S. E. of 17 - 10 - 7 - 4.
Miss Hilda Tonberg (Mrs. Les Willing) 1930
Miss Lisa Bolin (Mrs. Gerry White) 1932 to 1935
Miss Helen Putnam 1935
Miss Jerry Walker 1940
Mr. Roy Ericson 1943
Mr. Victor Brosz 1944
Miss Margaret Miller 1945
Miss Alice Bolinger 1947
Mr. Alec Thompson 1948
Mr. George Thiesen 1949
Miss Emily Cheknita 1949
Miss Margaret Laird (Mrs. Richard Bassett)1950
Mrs. Edith Wiebe 1951
Mrs. M. Allen 1953
Mrs. Madge Ratcliffe 1956
rReturn to Seven Persons
Return Old Country Schools