Harry Jolliffe came from the Isle of Wight, England in 1908 and worked as a farm hand, breaking sod for many farmers in the Spring Coulee district.
He married Miss Vella Baptiste, a daughter of the people who operated the hotel at the time.
Harry and Vella farmed for quite a few years. Harry was the athletic type and enjoyed playing tennis, badminton and curling in later years. He was a leader and helped plan and build the Community Hall in 1927.
Harry and Vella had a small store, west of Paul Boettcher's garage and later bought the Zackodnick garage. They remodeled it and built a larger store with their home in the back. They handled groceries and hardware and it was the Greyhound bus stop for years. Harry also had the Imperial Oil bulk station and he was the International Machinery dealer.
Eventually they sold the store to Stewart and Kay Van Horne, and they moved to Calgary. Harry died in Calgary and Vella remarried and passed away years later.
Return Individual Histories