George Kihn and Bertha Schneider were married in 1903, at Medina, North Dakota, U.S.A. Their first three children were born there, one son and two daughters. They came to Canada around 1907 or 1908. They lived in various places, including Retlaw, Cardston, and Enchant. During this time five more children were born, three daughters and two sons.
In 1926 they moved from Enchant to Del Bonita.
They lived in the George Spence place (that belonged to Henry Walburger) until a home was built on the quarter section of land they had homesteaded. It was west of Henry Walburger's and was joined to the U.S. Boundary on the south.
In 1928 George had a blacksmith shop on the corner north of Fisher's store. He worked there for about a year and also did his farming.
George drove a truck for Albert Fisher who ran the store, and did hauling to Milk River and other places as well. During his stay at Del Bonita he worked for various farmers in the district, on threshing machines, etc.
Four more children were born to them while in Del Bonita, two daughters and two sons. They all attended the Del Bonita school.
In 1945 they sold their farm to Powell Foggin and moved to Fort Macleod. George worked for the town until his death in March, 1960. Bertha passed away in January of 1966.
Their son Albert passed away in 1965, in Kent, Washington, U.S.A. Their daughter, Helen, passed away at the age of ten from measles. A son, Leslie, passed away in 1940 while living in Del Bonita.
Return Pioneer Histories