Roy Matson was born August 13, 1882 in Ottawa, Illinois. At Ortonville, Minnesota, on August 29, 1905 he married Clara Marie Klein, who was born August 29, 1886 in Graceville, Minnesota.
Roy first came to Alberta in the fall of 1906 settling in Woodpecker (now known as Barnwell). His wife came a month later and a son was born there in 1907. Later in 1907 the family moved to Spring Coulee to work for W.L. Thompson to haul lumber for the Spring Coulee company store and also lumber for the Bert Kelley house.
Later in the year he got an outfit to farm a section of land owned by Ken Long, located north of Woolford. In 1908 Roy obtained his own outfit and farmed the Joiner place, 5 miles east of Spring Coulee. For two years he farmed the John Wintergreen land north of the canal.
In 1910, Mr. Thompson built buildings on Section 19 for Roy to rent (3 miles S.W. of Spring Coulee). While living here a son Clarence (Dutch) was born in 1910 and a daughter in 1911. Roy and Mrs. Clara C. Thompson (widow of W..L. Thompson) formed a steam threshing partnership and Roy did the threshing for Spring Coulee and Woolford area from 1911-1916.
In the fall of 1915, the family moved into Spring Coulee and bought the Bank house which later became the school house. Roy helped move the safe from the Bank house to the railway station from which it was moved to the Bank of Montreal in Magrath.
A second daughter was born in 1913.
During their stay in Spring Coulee, the children attended both school and Sunday School and their parents were active in all community activities.
In the spring of 1917, the family moved to the homestead at Wennett, Montana and stayed there for three years, during which time another daughter was born.
In the fall of 1920 the family returned to Southern Alberta and rented the Rosedale farm, then owned by R.D. Bradshaw (Rosedale later sold to the Taylor Bros.)
In March 1925, Roy bought the Orton Minor farm southeast of Magrath. They resided there for 47 years until retiring in Lethbridge in 1963.
Roy and Clara had three sons and three daughters.
While in Magrath, Roy served a total of 19 years on the council of the Sugar City Municipal District as councilor for 6 years (1996-1932) and as Reeve from 1936-1947. He was active in various community organizations, while his wife took part in church and community work.
On August 29, 1970, Roy and Clara celebrated their 65 wedding anniversary. Roy died March 26, 1971 and Clara August 30 1976. They were predeceased by one son Clarence.
Return Pioneer Histories