William Hugh McCaugherty was born in Lethbridge on August 8, 1899, the son of W. T. (Tom) and Jessie (Davis) McCaugherty. He grew up on the D-O ranch at NW 31-8-22-4. He and his brother and sisters went to the West Lethbridge School, built in 1911.
In 1915, Hugh was taken out of school and from then on was expected to do a man's work. Thus he had about four and a half years of formal education, and as he put it, spent the next few years chasing horses. From 1918 to 1926 Hugh looked after the ranch horse operation near Brooks in the summers and worked in the Coalhurst mine during the winters.
Glorie Gertrude Sandham was born in Lethbridge January 5, 1905, the daughter of James and Gertrude (Bishop) Sandham. The Sandham's had come to Lethbridge in 1904 and taken a homestead north of Coalhurst in the Rolling Hill district. Glorie took her schooling at Coalhurst along with her brothers and sisters. They walked the two miles every day. When Glorie was fifteen she was told that girls did not need more education than that and therefore her schooling was over.
In the fall of 1925 Hugh and Glorie were married and lived in Coalhurst where Hugh was working in the mine. On July 28, 1926, their first son was born. In the spring of 1928 Hugh was injured at the mine and was told that he would never do manual work again. He worked at odd jobs and ran the Abbatoir for Sorbora's (Tedesco) just southeast of Coalhurst where he and Jimmy Creighton did the killing for the Coalhurst store.
In October of 1929 Hugh was hired by the Alberta Wheat Pool as second man in training at the Coalhurst elevator where he stayed until January, 1930. He then went to Coaldale, again as second man for a short time and then was sent to Spring Coulee as head man where he looked after the Cardston Pool elevator as well.
On December 14, 1930, their second son was born. On August 1, 1931, Hugh and Glorie moved back to Coalhurst, a town which they very much liked, and he served as the Pool agent there until Oct. 31, 1936, when the elevator was closed down.
During their five year stay in Coalhurst they took a great deal of interest in community affairs. Hugh coached a softball team that had a very good reputation in games against teams from Lethbridge and other towns. He served on the town council and served a time as Mayor.
In the spring of 1936, Hugh and Glorie moved to a farm two and one half miles north of Coalhurst NE 32-9-22. Hugh commuted to the elevator until it was closed down. This move did not end their association with Coalhurst as they still attended community functions in the town although the town had lost its life with the tragedy at the mine.
Hugh McCaugherty was known throughout the Coalhurst district as a man that could always be relied on to help when someone was in need. He was often called on to help when people had livestock in need of assistance. Glorie was known as always helping in girls' clubs and there was always room at the table for extra plates when people dropped in. Hugh and Glorie often reminisced about their friends and happy years they had in Coalhurst.
After the death of his father, Hugh and Glorie bought the McCaugherty ranch in West Lethbridge. In the spring of 1940 they moved there.
In 1952, Hugh and Glorie moved to Lethbridge. In 1957, Glorie died after a long illness. Hugh died in 1977.
Return Pioneer Histories