John Olechow and Mary Wozna immigrated to Canada from Limberg, Austria in 1920, and were married in Lethbridge in 1924. They had a family of three children, two daughters and one son.
John Olechow worked in the coal mine at Coalhurst up to the time of the explosion, which saw the permanent closure of the mine. He was working in the mine on the day of the explosion and was one of the fortunate survivors of the blast.
During the succeeding years he worked as a carpenter and was employed on the construction of hangers being built for the air training school in the Lethbridge area during the 2nd World War.
In 1943, the Olechow family moved to Coleman in the Crowsnest Plass where John was employed at the McGilIvray coal mine until his retirement.
John Olechow passed away at Vernon, B.C. in 1962. His wife Mary passed away in Calgary, Alberta in 1981.
Return Pioneer Histories