Ernest Oxland came to Canada from England in the 1880's. His wife Martha (Chenery) came to Canada in 1902, and they were married after being engaged in England.
Ernest worked in the mines for a short time then went on to be a school janitor. They lived on fifth street in a large house where the police station is now located. Martha ran a boarding house there. Ernest was a butcher by trade. They sold the house and bought a 1/4 section on the border of Wilson/White Schools. Ernest died in 1932.
Martha was the sister of Bill Chenery. The Oxlands had no children, and raised Doug and Gwen Chenery when Bill brought them over from England after his wife died. Martha and Bill ran the family farm until Doug was old enough to take it over.
Return Pioneer Histories