November 10, 1914 the Richfield School District No. 3198 was established comprising the following lands: Sections 4-9, 16-21 and those portions of Sections 28, 29, and 30 lying east of Milk river in T-1, R-22; Sections 1, 12, and those portions of Sections 2, 3, 11, 13, and 24 lying east of the said river in Township 1, Range 23; West of the Fourth Meridian.
Senior Trustee, and secretary at the time was M. Millar of Del Bonita, Alberta. The Committee responsible for establishment included George Hoyt, J.P.Catenner, and James N. Seale.
August 2, 1915 the sum of twelve hundred dollars was borrowed upon security of the district for the purpose of erecting and furnishing a school house. Treasurer at this time was S. L. West of Del Bonita, Alberta. The school was named Richfield.
May 9, 1924, the name Richfield district No. 3198 was changed to Rinard School District No. 3198. This name was suggested by W. 0. Miller, who had come from a place called Rinard in Illinois.
October 3, 1936 the Rinard School District No. 3198 was included in Subdivision No. 3 of the St. Mary's River School Division No. 2.
July 26, 1945 the following lands were added. Those parts of Sections 29 and 29 not already included in Rinard School District; Sections 32 and 33 in T-1, R-22; that part of Section 3 lying north of the north branch of the Milk River, Sections 4, 5, 8-10 and 15-17 in Township 2, R-22, West of the Fourth Meridian.
May 6, 1960 the following lands were transferred from the Valleyfield School District No. 3327 to the Rinard School District No. 3198; that fraction of Section 13 lying west of the north branch of Milk River, Section 14, south half of Section 23, that fraction of the south half of section 24 lying west of the north branch of the Milk River, in T-1, Range 23, West of the Fourth Meridian.
Following the centralization of the schools in 1939 the building was sold to Arlen Wiggill and used as a dwelling. It now serves as a granary on the Gene Plunet farm.
Some of the teachers in Rinard school were: Vern Wheeler, R. Gibb, Dallas Minion, Mr. Roycroft, Olive Wiggill, Cliff Dawson, Mary Hominuke, Verena Stutz, Mrs. Frances Jensen, Mrs. Eileen Whitworth.
In the fall of 1938 Rinard School was involved in the first steps toward centralization of schools. Classes for elementary students from Lens and Rinard were held at Rinard School. The Christmas of 1938 a joint concert for Lens and Rinard was held in Rinard School.
Return to Old Rural Country Schools
Return to Ghost Towns