When the post office was granted to T-1 R-20, it was named Hacke after William Hacke, the postmaster. In April 1928 the name was changed to Twin River. This name had been suggested by Mrs. Annie Robinson. It is appropriate because the area lies between the north fork of the Milk River, and the Milk River. The school was called Hacke until 1928 when it was named Twin River.
On October 10, 1913 the Hacke School district No. 3049 was established comprising the following lands: Sections 1-4, 9-16, and 21-24 in Township 1, Range 20, West of the Fourth Meridian. J. P. Atwood was the first secretary and Senior Trustee. He was succeeded by Hugo Weiss. The committee responsible for establishment included William Hacke, Hugo Weiss, and S. N. O'Bray. The district was named Hacke after William Hacke. Senior trustee at the time was J. P. Atwood. A small building was constructed in 1914. One of the prizes offered at the opening celebration was fifteen fence posts.
On June 25, 1915 the following lands were added: Sections 5, 8, 17 and 20 in Township 1, Range 20, West of the Fourth Meridian.
On August 2, 1915 the sum of eight hundred dollars was borrowed upon the security of the district for the purpose of fencing the school site, digging a well, and building and equipping a school house. Treasurer at this time was W. E Tolley of Hacke, Alberta.
On May 18,1926 the following lands were added: Sections 25-27, 34-36, east halves of Section 28 and 33 in Township 1, Range 20, West of the Fourth Meridian.
On April 5, 1928 the name of the Hacke School District No. 3049 was officially changed to the Twin River School District No. 3049.
On October 3, 1936 the Twin River School District No. 3049 was included in subdivision No. 3 of the St. Mary's River School Division No. 2.
For several years the Twin River school year was from March I through the summer months till Christmas time. The children had winter holidays during January and February. This school year was in effect until the 1937-38 year - when classes continued through the summer of '37 and right on till June '38.
It is interesting to note that J. Edmund Wheeler received $114.00 for teaching July 15 through to September 1, 1937.
In the fall of 1938 a new school was built in Twin River with Ralph Weston as contractor, and the old school building was used as a teacherage. Prior to this, teachers had boarded at different homes in the community.
On September 1, 1941 the Twin River School District No. 3049 joined the centralized school system at Lens and students were vanned there to that school.
The first teacher at Hacke was Mr. Roycroft who lived about half a mile north of the Guthrie place at Shanks Lake. He walked from there to school each day. Mrs. Mackie, the wife of a preacher, taught at Hacke School. Their home was at the old Muller place. Other teachers were: Miss Sarah Spence, Mr. Bastein, John Glen, Mr. Metcalf, Glen Miller, Rose Wilson, Jay Wheeler, Inga Jensen, Isla Huddleston, Alice Steed, Evelyn Macurrdy, Bemice Hadfield, Evelyn Myers, Phillipa Cook, Marrian Johnson, Lottie Newton, Claire Allen, Lynwood Nay, Mrs. Graham, Mr. Arvid Larson, Miss Gibb, Mr. Nelson, Mr. Glen Woolf.
On September 10, 1941 approval was given the Twin River School District No. 3049 to dispose of the old teacherage. It was sold to John Tangen, and used as a granary.
On July 26,1945 the following lands were added: Sections 1-3, east halves of Sections 4 and 9, Sections 10-17, and that part of Section 18 not already included in the Shanks Lake School District No. 3329.
February 20, 1946 the following lands were added: Township 1, Range 19, West of the Fourth Meridian.
January 22, 1951 the sale of the old site and buildings of the Twin River School District No. 3049 was approved. It was bought by the Twin River Community Club for a community centre.
The school building served the area as a community centre until 1964 when it was sold to Jorgensen Brothers.
One time at a Christmas concert in the old school, the tree was decorated with lighted candles. While Santa was handing out gifts from under the tree, he bent over and a lighted candle started his beard on fire. Mrs. Annie Robinson's quick thinking saved the jolly gentleman from being badly burned. She smothered the fire by throwing a coat over his head. Tom Amy was Santa.
Return To Old Rural County Schools
Return To Del Bonita Alberta