Taken from sign at Whiskey Gap
Whiskey Gap in the Milk River Ridge and on a water shed between the Missouri and Saskatchewan River drainage system.
In the 1860's and 1870's American traders crossed into what would become Alberta to trade goods and alcohol for buffalo robes and furs. One of the main routes for this trade, the Riplinger Road, crossed the border just west of Whiskey Gap
During the Prohibition period in Alberta between 1916 - 1924 alcohol was smuggled through this area from the United States. Later it flowed in the opposite direction when the Americans declared Prohibition.
The local post office was named Fareham in 1918, and when the railway reached the area a hamlet consisting of 3 grain elevators, a store, and other businesses and houses grew up around this post office. In 1913 the community was officially renamed Whiskey Gap. Although little remains of this once thriving community, its name reflects its long and colorful past and strategic location.
Return Ghost Towns of Alberta