Born in Pillsburg, Ontario, in 1850, Curly joined the N.W.M.P. in 1877 and came west in 1878. After servmg three years with the police force in Fort Macleod, he went into partnership with Jim Daly and established the X ranch on Daly Creek west of present day Granum. (He was joined by his brother Albert in 1883.)
A couple of years later Curly quit ranching to become a blacksmith. Arriving in Lethbridge in 1885, he started the first livery stable and blacksmith shop. In 1898 Curly bought land south of Lethbridge on the St. Mary River, near old Fort Whoop-Up, where he kept a herd of horses and cattle.
In the winter of 1891-92 Curly went back to Ontario where he married Miss Elizabeth Smythe. They had one daughter, Wilhelmina, born in 1899. While in the district, Curly was a trustee on the Ratepayers Association, as was his wife after he died.
Curly lived on his farm until his death in 1926. Mrs. Whitney continued to live on the farm until selling it to Oswalds in 1927 when she moved into Lethbridge. She died here in 1936.
Return Pioneer Histories