Jack and his wife homesteaded in 1904. Before homesteading they ran the Windsor Hotel on First Avenue South in Lethbridge. He later worked with his team when they were sinking the shaft in Coalhurst, hauling water from the river.
His house was on a high hill and in 1926 he moved it to the southeast comer of his land. He milked cows and delivered the milk to Coalhurst.
Anyone who knew Jack would remember him because he always wore gumboots. He passed away around 1948. Mrs. Whyte had the house moved into Coalhurst and this was where she lived until she passed away.
The farm was purchased by Russell Clifton who still owns the land.
Return Pioneer Histories